Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Retour de Flamme


Calcutta is full of suprises. I would never have imagined that I'd ever be sitting in the grounds of an Anglican church in India watching a frenchman play piano accompaniment to lost film, which had been found and restored films.


It was magical. Among the many great shorts, I saw the world's first animated film, a Buster Keaton picture, and this hand coloured picture filmed in Gwalior in 1908! For more info on Retour de Flamme click here.
Serge Bromberg is the driving force behind Lobster films, a company that finds and restores these "lost" films. He was the presenter and piano player, and a great ambassador for the preservation of the world's films.
Speaking of lost images, the images here and in the last posting were lost for a bit. The memory card from my Canon became corrupted during a download attempt (thank you very much, Evil Microsoft) and I couldn't get to the files. But, using my Apple Powerbook and a photo recovery program called Klix, I was able to recover them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. I'm dealing with a few of these issues as well..

My website :: additional reading