Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mystery Artist on TV in Japan












The following is based on notes I wrote on my WikiTravel print outs for Naoshima, and some from my little yellow notebook.

Sunday April 20, 2008.
Looking for a place to eat on a Sunday night. Everything was closed, and I am the only guest in my lock-less guest house. I felt like I was the only foreigner on this dark seemingly deserted island. The gent at the ferry terminal was kind enough to sell me some snacks, even though it was not his job and he was already into overtime: nuts and dried fried noodles. Then, I went by a vending machine, got some chips and figured this and a couple of beers from the vending machine at the guest house would be dinner. Then, just past Seven Beach (my guesthouse, that is not actually on a beach, FYI), I discovered a small cook-food-over-an-open-flame-yourself place that appeared to be open.
When I went in, the proprietor asked if I was staying at the (Seven) Beach house. Feeling more than ever like the only foreigner on the island, I said yes, and she told me I could pay her for my 2nd night there. As it happened, she was the mother of the woman who ran my guesthouse, in which I was the only guest that night. I suppose, had I not found this place, she would have come to the guesthouse later and asked for my payment.
I asked her if I could get some food, because everything else was closed. She agreed, at first somewhat reluctantly, but soon came around, and after my meal gave me free beer...and the mini KIRIN beer glass I said I liked so much and wished to purchase.
She said I looked like a movie star. I told her I wasn't, and that I make and teach art. With only her limited understanding of English, she was able to communicate to me that making art is a lot of work for very little money.

After getting back to the completely empty Seven Beach House I turned on the TV and started writing a bit. On the TV was a show about a Japanese artist. I couldn't understand a word of it, but the images alone allowed me to construct my own story.I was able to decide who the curator was, the museum director and also the mentoring senior artist. I really liked the platform she used to float over her art as she painted.

(I wonder if I will ever discover the artist's name? I like her work a lot. It inspires me.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This also inspires me. I like her work a lot but I think I also like not knowing who she is. She is very beautiful.

Delphi_Star said...

your blog & images are so interesting..
I want to read it all..
I found it while looking for "SeXpo" images to use at University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee (Women's Resource Center).
...This woman's art DOES look beautiful...& there is not too much art that I like.

huntergrafix said...

we´ll never know who is this beatifull artist ?? :-(

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link