Monday, June 23, 2008

Jaisalmer


I decided to travel to the desert in Rajasthan with Adam, who wanted to go there and photograph the stars. So off we went: by plane from Calcutta to Jaipur, then by overnight train to Jaisalmer.


Adam trying to get some zzz's in the morning after a very cold overnight train ride through the desert from Jaipur. He has a copy of V.S. Naipaul's An Area of Darkness on his lap. Dave gave us each a copy and we were both reading it on this trip. I highly recommend it if you are at all interested in India.
We hadn't anticipated the degree of cold air, or the fact that in sleeper class you have to bring your own blankets. So, basically, I spent the coldest night of my life in India. At least I didn't get frostbitten, like I did in Kenya years ago. I can't wait to be back in Canada where these things don't happen to me.


Kudos to Adam for finding this guest house with a view. It is called the Fifu Guest House, and was nice, new-ish and clean, with hot showers to boot. What luxury!


I liked Jaisalmer because it was a living fort city, even if the holy cow does seem to have the run of the place.


San getting a yard of sweet milk inside the fort city of Jaisalmer. We met San who was visiting from Bangkok, and Mark from Australia, on the train from Jaipur. We all decided to stay at Fifu, and I went on a desert safari with San and Mark.


Looking out across the desert in western India, about an hour from Jaisalmer


Mark and San on their camels


The first time I tried to upload this picture my web browser started going all wonky like its wires were crossed. Perhaps it's because there are so many things that seem wrong in this photograph: I am wearing a hoody with a sports team's colours, I am wearing a wool scarf in the desert, and yes, I do, in fact, have a mustache. I left the 'stache in India.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just the sight of that 'stache is rich reward enough for me. I had heard the rumours, but could not picture it at all. Thank you for sharing.

And for leaving it in India.