Saturday, January 12, 2008

La Biennale di Venezia


I quite enjoyed my time at the Arsenal Venice biennale site with its many pavilions showing contemporary art under the flags of numerous nations. It is a beautiful site full of trees that were wearing their fall colours. The Biennale also includes many off-site installations like this one by an Australian artist. The top image is me inside the structure shown below it. Sadly, the elevators did not open, nor was there a small person inside attending it; but there were some sounds...maybe sirens and/or mumbled voices...either way, not so memorable since I can't remember. In general, the Biennale was a pleasant experience with good showings from South Korea and Russia. But nothing so great that I feel compelled to share it with you. Please note that I didn't actually get around to see every pavilion, and may have missed the proverbial manger hidden behind the inn. Nevertheless, I would definitely go back and see another Biennale in Venice, and for sure do it in the fall.
And on my next visit, I would revisit the Peggy Guggenheim collection. Like the New York version, it has a so-so permanent collection, but puts on some superb temporary exhibitions. The one I saw was a beautifully installed exhibition on the work of Medardo Rosso (born Turin 1858, died Milan 1928). He was an early modernist sculptor who also did experimental photography which involved re-photography. Here is one of his sculptures, and one of his photos. If limited to a single word, I would call his work ephemeral.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

such delicacy in the stone

Anonymous said...

or wax.

Anonymous said...

auto shop designs course crash integration management merger move smart gt purely porsche magazine cd won t play in car stereo hyundai south africa prices